I first came across ‘mock rice’ when I found a recipe posted by Helene from Super Kitchen Machine, view recipe here. I told my husband I was thinking of trying this ‘fake rice’ recipe made entirely on cauliflower and we both were curious: me because I love the whole raw/wholefood thing…he because he thought no way it would work. This was a real ‘get out’ moment from the first serve. Using the reverse function on the Thermomix to blitz the cauliflower florets means they retain a grain-like shape. Helene also provides a killer raw thai sauce, and we all loved it so much so that hubby bought cauliflower next grocery shop to make some more! I find the mock rice is a perfect carrier for the sauce and its texture and natural slight sweetness is a great combination.
So last night, when I saw a recipe shared by my blogging partner Justine on our Facebook page for Cauliflower Based Pizza, I knew I had to give it a go! (that and I had half a cauliflower in the fridge begging to be used).
This recipe comes from mamabake website http://mamabake.com/. I love following these girls, they have a terrific community spirit and fantastic collaborative approach to big batch cooking, and I really wish I had known more about them when I had my babies at home.
This is a mamabake recipe Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Base, but with a Thermomix conversion.
Cauliflower Pizza Base
(makes 2 bases)
- Preheat oven to 200-220 degrees. Prepare 2 baking trays with baking paper. (I did try making one on silicon baking sheet, but it didn’t crisp up like the one made on the baking paper)
Rice the Cauliflower
360g cauliflower (which is approximately 2 cups)
- Chop the cauliflower into florets
- Spin for 5 seconds on reverse Speed 5
- Transfer mock rice into another bowl
- Fill the TM bowl with 500gms of water
- Place the TM simmer basket in the TM bowl, and fill with the mock rice.
- Steam the rice 10-12 mins/Varoma/speed 3.
To the Mock Rice add:-
210g of shredded cheese (2 cups), I used a combination of mozzarella, tasty and parmesan
2 eggs (beaten)
2 tspn dried oregano
2 cloves of crushed garlic
Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl mix cauliflower, eggs and cheese until combined. Add garlic and seasonings.
- Spread half of the mix onto each of the two prepared trays.
- Spread mixture, the thinner: the crispier the base. Note: it is quite wet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the base is golden colour.
Mamabake suggests to top with simple ingredients as the base isn’t overly strong. I find I pack on the toppings to add the vegies…but the vegies are ‘in’ the base!!! So I added…
- Crumbled halloumi (made in the Thermomix see recipe link here)
- Shredded ham
- Chopped baby spinach
- Chopped tomato
5. Place pizzas under the grill to brown up the toppings, remember the base is already cooked.