I have been eye-ing off the Baked Donut Trays at Big W for sometime…imagining lovely baked delights I could make for lunchboxes to please my kiddies when we return to school. So while picking up the last of our school supplies I decided to make a quick detour and picked up a tray.
I have made donut flavoured muffins previously. I kind of set about using what I liked in several recipes and this is what has resulted. I have made a couple of batches now and have found both dairy free milk and spelt flour are fine when substituting.
My first batch I kind of spooned the mix around the donut well, but after doing a bit of research, I decided to fill a freezer bag with batter and ‘pipe’ direct into the donut wells. This proved both more time efficient, as well as resulting in a more rounded top on my donuts.
Straight from the oven these donuts are incredible! With the yield of 24 donuts we were able to enjoy half warm and the other half I popped into the freezer.
Baked Cinnamon Donuts
- 50g butter
- 100g raw sugar
- 70g brown sugar
- 50g macadamia oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups plain flour (360g)
- 1 cup milk
Blitz 100g raw sugar and 2 teaspoon of cinnamon 5 sec/sp 9
- Preheat oven 170-180 degrees (replicate the heat your oven would best bake muffins)
- Grease donut wells in donut pan with melted butter.
- Soften butter by mixing for 40sec / 50degrees / speed 4.
- Add raw sugar, brown sugar and oil to TM bowl. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 3. Scrape down. Add eggs, one at a time, mix for 10 seconds/speed 3 each. Scrape down.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, ground nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, flour and milk to the TM bowl.
- Mix 5 seconds / speed 4. The batter should look smooth and lump free.
- Place a plastic bag in a jug folding edges of bag over edges of jug. Pour batter into plastic bag. Tie off or twist and fix with a peg. Snip a corner opening approx 1 cm and use to pipe mixture into donut wells evenly, half fill each well. Do not over fill.
- Bake in an oven for approx 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden in colour.
- Turnout donuts immediately onto a cake rack. Add portions of cinnamon sugar as required to a clean freezer bag. While the donuts are warm, add 6 donuts at a time and shake sugar and donuts in sealed bag coating donuts in cinnamon sugar.
- Best enjoyed warm, but I have been assured that they are just as yummy cool (quoted by our professional team of TTD testers ‘aka my kiddies’)
Choc Chip: Add 3/4 cup of choc chips to mix at step 5.
Iced: Make vanilla/chocolate /caramel/ strawberry icing and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands (ice after muffins have cooled on cake rack)
Glazed: channel your inner Crispy Crème Donut…
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 -9 tablespoons (90-135ml) evaporated milk (can substitute regular milk or water for milder flavor)
- Melt butter in TM bowl as above. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add milk (or water) and stir until desired consistency is reached.
** I have not tried these variations, but thought they may be worth noting during my (ahem) research** :o)